Property Settlement & Financial Agreement Lawyers

It is essential to get legal advice from an experienced Family Lawyer before you discuss financial issues arising out of a separation with your spouse or partner.  Family Law can be complex and every case is different. We can guide you and suggest possible solutions for your situation.  Some separating couples can find it very stressful to talk to each other about financial issues- for those people, we can conduct the negotiations and help you take the worry out of a fair property settlement.

Property Settlement

We handle all aspects of problems related to Family Law Property Settlement in a holistic way. We have the knowledge of how to resolve your Family Law problem in the context of your entire circumstances paying particular attention to relationships, finances and taxation.

At the end of a relationship, it is necessary to determine how to divide up your assets and financial resources. A property settlement is the term used to describe who gets what after the end of a marriage. The Family Law Act 1975 covers matters relating to property settlements for married couples and de-facto couples (including same-sex relationships).  A financial case can cover such things as property settlement, maintenance, child support or financial enforcement. "Property" covers such things as your home, other real estate, money in the bank or other financial institution, cars, boats, investments, business interests, household contents, and Superannuation.  

How do you determine what the Property Settlement should be?   

Contrary to urban myths, there is no presumption that the property should be divided 50/50, 60/40 or in any other arbitrary proportion. The Family Law Act sets out the factors which must be taken into account when a Judge has to consider how property is to be divided.

The Family Law Act 1975 sets out the general principles the court considers when deciding financial disputes after the breakdown of a marriage or a de facto relationship.  There is no universal formula to apply as a property settlement is based on discretionary criteria.  Beware of "advice" received from well-meaning friends or family as a result of their own experiences.  Each person's situation is different and should be carefully assessed by a family lawyer qualified to give the right advice.

The factors which the Family Law Act specifies must be taken into account are as follows:

  • Assessing the current value of the property concerned and the extent of any liabilities
  • Assessing the direct financial contributions by each party, for example, assets and savings owned at the commencement of the relationship.
  • Considering the indirect financial contributions by each party, for example, gifts and inheritances from families.
  • Considering the non-financial contributions to the marriage or de facto relationship, for example, caring for children, being the homemaker and maintaining or improving the property.
  • Taking into account future needs, for example age, health, financial resources, care of children and income earning capacity.
  • Finally, after considering all of the above, the final consideration is to apply the test of whether any proposed property settlement is fair and equitable in the circumstances.  

It is important to realise that the way your assets and debts will be shared between you will depend on the individual circumstances of your family. Your settlement will probably be different from others you may have heard about.

Can you have an informal property settlement?  

Whilst there is no law against making your own informal property settlement without lawyers and outside the scope of the Family Law Act, it is not a wise move. Unless a settlement is approved by a Court, or a formal binding Financial Agreement is made pursuant to the Family Law Act, an informal property settlement is not regarded as binding. This means that one of the parties could renege on it and be entitled to apply to the Family Court for a greater share of the property in the future. However, it is not necessary for you to appear in court in order to have a binding settlement. If terms of settlement are reached, a family lawyer can prepare an Application for Consent Orders which may be lodged at the Family Court without the need for anyone to actually appear in Court. Consent orders have the same legal force as a decision made by a Judge in a Courtroom. Before making the consent orders the Court will need to be satisfied that the orders are properly drafted and that the terms are just and equitable. The benefit of having orders made by consent is that you know exactly what the settlement will be as opposed to the uncertainty of having a judge to decide the matter for you. The long delays experienced in court proceedings coupled with the expense of court proceedings certainly make going to court the less preferred option. 

Full and Frank Disclosure

If you are involved in a case about property you are required to make a "full and frank disclosure" to the other party about all of your property, superannuation, financial resources. For detailed information about this, refer to the page Disclosure under Family Law Rules under the Reading Room tab. 

Mediation and Negotiation

The Family Law Rules require you to take certain steps before you commence legal proceedings in the Family Court (These steps are called Pre Action Procedures). The Pre Action Procedures are intended to encourage parties to resolve matters through negotiation rather than having a Judge make a decision in Court. Unless your case is urgent, or involves some exceptional factor, such as allegations of abuse or fraud, you must: 

  • Make a genuine effort to resolve the dispute through counselling or mediation; 
  • Providing the other party with copies of relevant documents;  
  • Make a settlement offer; 
  • advise the other party of the orders you will seek from the Court. 

Complete details of what is required to comply with Pre Action Procedures can be found at the page-Pre Action Procedures under the Reading Room tab.   

Our Expertise

We have extensive experience in the following:

  • Negotiations and Out of Court Property Settlements
  • Contested Family Court Litigation
  • Review of complex financial structures and assessing pool of assets
  • Valuation of businesses and companies
  • Identification of Capital Gains Tax Issues
  • Complex Property Settlements involving Businesses and Family Trusts
  • Property Settlements relating to Doctors and Dentists 
  • Tax effective settlements
  • Finding "hidden" assets
  • Protection of assets
  • Superannuation splitting
  • Binding Financial Agreements
  • Pre Nuptial Agreements
  • Cohabitation/Financial Agreements for unmarried partners
  • Financial Agreements for separated partners
  • De Facto Marriage problems 
  • Lump Sum and periodic Maintenance disputes
  • Child Support Disputes
  • Mediation
  • Injunctions and Personal Protection Orders
  • Injunctions to protect persons and/or property 
  • Applications for Sole Use and Occupation of Family Home
  • Restraining Orders 
  • Intervention Orders in Domestic Violence cases 
  • Advice on Child Support issues 
  • Child Support Agreements 
  • Child Support Applications 
  • Child Support Departure Orders 
  • Child Support Trusts 
  • Resolving Disputes about Children and Parenting
  • Divorce
  • International Family Law cases
  • Certification of New Zealand Relationship Property Agreements

All of our lawyers are admitted to practice as Barristers and Solicitors.  We also regularly brief Queen's Counsel and Senior Counsel at the Bar

For further Specialist advice, call Auditore Melbourne Family Lawyers today for an appointment on (+613) 9670 9677.

Established in Melbourne since 1985.


Maintenance (also called "alimony" in some countries) is payable after separation if your ex-partner does not have the capacity to support himself or herself and you can afford to pay money in support. Maintenance may be paid periodically (e.g. monthly) or it may be capitalised as a lump sum. It is different to child support which is payable solely for the maintenance of children. 

Maintenance may be payable if you are:  

  • separated or divorced from a legal spouse 
  • separated from a de facto partner after 1 March 2009

You can apply for maintenance after you separate but the time limits should be noted.  You must apply for a court order for maintenance and/or property settlement:

  • within one year from the date your divorce was finalised 
  • within two years from the date your de facto relationship ended

In special circumstances, it may be possible to get around these time limits.  

What is a Financial Agreement?

Married or de facto couples (including same-sex couples) have a right to make Financial Agreements about financial matters that are legally binding. Such an agreement (sometimes referred to as a Binding Financial Agreement, a BFA, a Pre Nuptial Agreement, a Pre Nup or a Cohabitation Agreement) can be made before, during or at the end of a relationship.

A Financial Agreement is a written document which sets out what you and your partner have agreed to do with respect to financial matters (including property settlement, maintenance and Superannuation splitting) in the event of a breakdown of the relationship. A Financial Agreement does not have to be approved by a court- in fact, it is used in order to ensure that a Court cannot interfere with private arrangements made between two consenting individuals.  

The Family Law Act states that a Financial Agreement is binding on the parties to the agreement:

if, and only if: 

(a)  the agreement is signed by all parties; and 

(b)  before signing the agreement, each party was provided with independent legal advice from a legal practitioner about the effect of the agreement on the rights of that party and about the advantages and disadvantages, at the time that the advice was provided, to that party of making the agreement 

(c)  either before or after signing the agreement, each party was provided with a signed statement by the legal practitioner stating that the advice referred to in paragraph (b) was provided to that party (whether or not the statement is annexed to the agreement); and 

(ca)  a copy of the statement referred to in paragraph (c) that was provided to a party is given to the other party or to a legal practitioner for the other party; and 

(d)  the agreement has not been terminated and has not been set aside by a court. 

The Court can declare a Financial Agreement invalid if these conditions are not met, or if fraud or non-disclosure is involved. It is essential that you have an expert family lawyer advising you on Financial Agreements.  The cost involved is insignificant compared to the future cost and stress of potential Court Litigation.


Pre Nuptial Financial Agreements

Some people would like to protect what they already have at the time of commencing a new relationship. Such protection can be achieved by entering into a Financial Agreement.  You need to have a frank discussion with your intended spouse or partner about what should be included in the Financial Agreement, and both parties must be willing participants as you cannot force the other person to sign a Financial Agreement.  Also, each party to the Financial Agreement must be independently represented by a separate lawyer.

As these Financial Agreements have stringent legal requirements to be fulfilled to ensure that they are legally binding, they are not cheap.  However, in the context of potentially avoiding the stress and financial devastation which could be caused by future bitter court litigation, the initial expense is definitely worth it for the future peace of mind.

All of our lawyers are admitted to practice as Barristers and Solicitors.  We also regularly brief Queen's Counsel and Senior Counsel at the Bar

For further Specialist advice, call Auditore Melbourne Family Lawyers today for an appointment on (+613) 9670 9677.

Established in Melbourne since 1985.

Property Settlement & Financial Agreement Lawyers Articles

  • Should I change Family Lawyers in my Family Law Court Case? 18 January 2019 - Are you having doubts about whether you are being well-represented in your Family Law dispute?
  • Is now a good time to finalise a Family Law Property settlement? 19 December 2018 - It is December 2018. After many years of rising property prices in Melbourne and the rest of Australia, property values have fallen. The Australian and US share markets are also down. Separating couples now have assets (including Superannuation) which are valued at significantly less than the valuation a year ago. However, their debt level would often be at the same level. The net result of this is that there is significantly less to divide up.
  • Can we agree on a Family Law settlement without going to Court? 25 October 2018 - Can we agree on a Family Law settlement without going to Court? This is a question asked by many clients at Melbourne Family Lawyers. The answer is both yes and no.
  • Should I Separate Before my Rich Parent Dies to Preserve my Inheritance? 12 April 2018 - If your marriage or relationship is on the rocks and you are agonising as to whether to separate from your spouse or partner, then here is some advice which may spur you on to make a decision one way or the other.
  • When Can I make a Claim for Property Settlement as a De Facto Partner? 18 July 2017 - In Australia, the Family Law relating to De Facto partners is substantially the same as the law relating to people who are legally married. The Family Law Act covers married people and de facto couples, including those in homosexual relationships.
  • When should I apply for a Family Law Property Settlement? 18 August 2016 - The only legal rules about when you should apply for a Family Law property settlement are concerning how late you can apply. People in a De Facto relationship have up to two years after separation. Married people have up to one year following the Divorce. Contrary to a popular belief, you do not have to wait until you are divorced to have a property settlement.
  • When is Spousal Maintenance Payable? 31 August 2015 - Spousal Maintenance (also called alimony in some countries) may be payable in Australia by one spouse (or de-facto partner) to the other under some circumstances pursuant to the provisions of the Family Law Act.
  • The Best Family Law Advice from Melbourne Family Lawyers 20 July 2015 - At Melbourne Family Lawyers, we don’t offer a “free” first consultation and use it to market our services to you. The first meeting with one of our lawyers is scheduled for one hour because we know it will take a bit of time to listen to your story so that we can understand your situation and what is important to you and what you would like to achieve.
  • Is my Spouse entitled to a share of my Superannuation if I separate? 20 January 2015 - In a Family Law Property Settlement, Superannuation is always taken into account when considering a division of property between spouses (including de facto or same-sex partners). These days, most people have Superannuation entitlements. Whilst those Superannuation entitlements may not be readily accessible now if you are below retirement age, they will make a difference to your financial situation when you do retire.
  • If I win Tatts Lotto, do I have to share the winnings with my ex spouse? 10 December 2014 - This question sometimes arises in family law property settlement cases- and the answer will depend on the exact circumstances. As is usual in family law cases, there are many possible scenarios and many different possible results. Let’s consider a few examples.
  • Beware of Family Lawyers offering Free Initial Consultations 26 November 2014 - Have you come across the recent advertising from Family Lawyers offering “free initial consultations”? Have you stopped to think why those lawyers are doing that?
  • Do I get to keep my inheritance in a Family Law Property Settlement? 30 October 2014 - It is important to remember that every Family Law Property Settlement case is different and will be decided in accordance with the guiding principles in the Family Law Act and the case law arising from past decisions of the Family Law Courts. This article summarises some of those guiding principles.
  • Achieving a Family Law Property Settlement with a “Bully” Spouse 27 February 2014 - Bullying is characterized by an individual behaving in a certain way to gain power over another person- and this is often a problem in marriage or relationship breakdown situations.
  • How to Achieve a Fair Family Law Property Settlement? 6 January 2014 - Achieving a fair Family Law Property Settlement is the aim of most people who end up separating, but what is fair? It is very difficult for a person to work out what is fair when going through the emotional turmoil of a separation. An experienced Family Lawyer can help you.
  • What to Expect from a Family Lawyer 8 November 2013 - A Family Lawyer will advise you as to his or her opinion as to where you stand when applying the applicable Family Law to your particular situation. However, a Family Lawyer will never be able to provide you with a definitive outcome in your case as the outcome of your case will depend on the following.
  • Which Family Law Court in Melbourne? 8 April 2013 - Clients are sometimes confused about which Family Law Court is appropriate to hear their case in Melbourne. This is understandable as there are three separate courts on the same street in Melbourne which have jurisdiction on Family Law related issues.
  • Achieving a Fair Family Law Settlement for De Facto and Same Sex Couples in Victoria 15 March 2013 - The Family Law in Victoria is now almost exclusively governed by the Family Law Act (Commonwealth) whether you are married, or in a de facto or same sex relationship. The State of Victoria previously had the power to make laws concerning couples who were not married, but referred those powers to the Commonwealth Government in 2009.
  • Finding the Best Family Law Firm in Melbourne 15 January 2013 - So your spouse has just announced, "It's over!" and you need to find a law firm to help guide you through one of the most stressful situations you are going to face. Where do you start? Do you go back to your local conveyancing law firm who looked after the purchase of your home?
  • Social Networks - a Divorce Lawyer’s Nightmare or Dream- depending whose side you are on! 11 April 2012 - Watch Out- Social Networks- A Divorce Lawyers Nightmare (or Dream) What you say on FaceBook or Twitter may well end up as evidence in the Family Law Courts!
  • Collaborative Family Lawyers - What Women (and Men) Want! 10 August 2011 - Marriage is a strange phenomenon that happens to human beings. And the best part is, both the unmarried and the married are unhappy, though for radically opposite reasons, one for not being married, and the other for being married.
Talk to us now for advice about your situation by phoning (+61) 03 9670 9677
Call +613 9670 9677
Make an Enquiry Book an Appointment
  • Melbourne Family Lawyers Melbourne Office:
    4th Floor, 271 William Street
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    (+613) 9670 9677
  • Melbourne Family Lawyers Brighton Office:
    Suite 13, 214 Bay Street
    Brighton VIC 3186
    (+613) 9670 9677