Finding out with Family Law: Parentage Tests

14 January 2011

Parentage tests determining the parent of the child may be needed for Family Law Lawyer matters such as child support payments, custody, access, inheritance and adoption. But with these matters, more matters arise including questions about processes and legal requirements.

Parentage Proof

The law states that a person is the presumed biological father of the child if:

  • the man was married to the child’s mother at the time she became pregnant;
  • the man is named as the father on the birth certificate;
  • the man signs a statutory declaration saying he is the father of the child;
  • the man and the mother were in a de facto relationship at the time she became pregnant; or
  • there is a court order saying the man is the father of the child.
  • These factors are considered as "proof of parentage" in applications such as child support or child maintenance.

If either the man or the woman believes the man is or is not the father of the child, even in cases in presumed proof of parentage, it is possible to have DNA testing to make sure. This report can be used to form the basis of a court order.

Parentage Tests

Also known as paternity tests, this is DNA testing to establish whether there is a family (genetic) relationship, or lack of relationship, between individuals. Samples of bodily fluids are taken (mouth swabs are increasingly replacing blood samples, though both are reported to be effective) from the mother, assumed father and the child.


Both mother and nominated biological father can agree to a parentage test, and apply to the Family Court for DNA testing to be ordered. Court forms, such as an application for a declaration of parentage and an affidavit, are required. The court can order the laboratory to provide samples for testing. Testings must be conducted by organisations accredited under the Family Law Act who will issue a report admissible in the Family Law Court. The report may assist in issues such as custody, access and child support.

A court can order a parentage test but cannot physically force someone. However refusal to take a court-ordered test can be taken into account in the court’s decision and a person can still be ‘declared’ as the father.

It is always recommended to seek legal advice prior to any court action and procedures.


It does not cost anything to apply to the Family Court for DNA testing to be ordered.

Parentage Certainty

If the nominated father’s DNA does not match the child’s DNA, he cannot be the biological father and is excluded with 100% certainty.

If the nominated father’s DNA does match the child’s DNA, he is a possible father. The Family Law Court requires the report to determine a relative chance of parentage of at least 99.5%.

Maternity for Certainty

For a DNA test to be legally admissible, the mother’s sample must be submitted.

Parentage Test Participation

The mother, child and assumed father should all be tested. If a sample cannot be obtained from the mother, the testing can still be performed though the results will be less conclusive compared to when both parents are tested. Testing with just one parent is performed only in special circumstances.

Permitting Parentage Testing

An agreement from each participant or legal guardian must be obtained in order to do the test. The Family Law Act requires consent must be obtained from the child’s mother or legal guardian if the child is less than 18 years of age. It is advisable to seek legal advice before consenting or participating in a parentage test.


The Family Law Act requires:

  • all parties involved in the testing to give their consent;
  • tests are conducted by laboratories holding an accreditation;
  • samples must be collected in a controlled environment by a medical professional;
  • a "line of custody" must be maintained for the samples; completion of Family Law Court forms and affidavit, signed by all parties and the medical professional witnessed by a Justice of the Peace on the day of sample collection;
  • mandatory photo identification for all participants; and
  • results of the test must be returned to the medical profession who will pass on to those on the affidavit.
  • Photo identification is required in the event of a dispute about the test result. The photograph may be viewed to verify the identity of the person who gave the sample. (This may be at the discretion of laboratory staff unless accompanied by a court order).

Related Articles

  • What do I do if we can’t agree on parenting arrangements for the children? 3 April 2019 - The Family Law Act states that each parent has parental responsibility for their child up until the age of 18 years. This is the case whether you are still together as a family or separated.
  • Should I change Family Lawyers in my Family Law Court Case? 18 January 2019 - Are you having doubts about whether you are being well-represented in your Family Law dispute?
  • Can we agree on a Family Law settlement without going to Court? 25 October 2018 - Can we agree on a Family Law settlement without going to Court? This is a question asked by many clients at Melbourne Family Lawyers. The answer is both yes and no.
  • Melbourne Family Lawyers Obtain Federal Circuit Court Injunction to Prevent Mother Taking Children from Melbourne to Western Australia 6 September 2018 - This court case came about when one of clients Eddie (not his real name) found out that his ex-wife Roma (not her real name) was intending to take their two primary school age children to live in Western Australia. Eddie and Roma had been separated since 2010 and Roma had since re-married. Since separation, the children had primarily been living with Roma at her home in Melbourne.
  • Defending an Intervention Order in Victoria 25 January 2017 - An Intervention Order is a Court Order which is made by a Magistrate in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria against a person (the Respondent) who has committed family violence against a family member (the Aggrieved Family Member).
  • Can I move with my child to live in a different suburb or outside of Melbourne without the other parent’s consent? 20 July 2016 - Some of the most frequent questions asked by clients of Melbourne Family Lawyers are concerning the issue of whether the client is allowed to take a child to live somewhere else, be that within Australia or overseas.
  • The Best Family Law Advice from Melbourne Family Lawyers 20 July 2015 - At Melbourne Family Lawyers, we don’t offer a “free” first consultation and use it to market our services to you. The first meeting with one of our lawyers is scheduled for one hour because we know it will take a bit of time to listen to your story so that we can understand your situation and what is important to you and what you would like to achieve.
  • Beware of Family Lawyers offering Free Initial Consultations 26 November 2014 - Have you come across the recent advertising from Family Lawyers offering “free initial consultations”? Have you stopped to think why those lawyers are doing that?
  • The Question: How much overnight time should a child spend with the other parent? 30 June 2014 - This is a question clients often posed to Family Lawyers and Family Law Court judges. Whilst each parent may have a different personal (often rigid) opinion, what do the experts have to say about this?
  • How much overnight time should a child spend with the other parent? 23 June 2014 - It used to be the case that “expert opinion” was that children under three were considered to have a primary attachment with their primary carer (often the mother) and it was best for them to spend most of their time with the parent with whom they had the primary attachment. The other parent was encouraged to have regular but frequent contact of a few hours once or twice a week. Amendments to the Family Law Act in 2006 were enacted to promote the following objectives to guarantee that the best interests of children are met.
  • Choosing the best Family Lawyers – Is it worth travelling to Melbourne? 26 November 2013 - Many people believe that it is not worth the hassle of coming into Melbourne to get advice from a Specialist Family Lawyer. There are good reasons why Melbourne Family Lawyers is located in William Street Melbourne (adjacent to the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia).
  • What to Expect from a Family Lawyer 8 November 2013 - A Family Lawyer will advise you as to his or her opinion as to where you stand when applying the applicable Family Law to your particular situation. However, a Family Lawyer will never be able to provide you with a definitive outcome in your case as the outcome of your case will depend on the following.
  • Defending a Family Law Property Settlement Case in Melbourne Family Law Courts 14 October 2013 - If you receive an Initiating Application which is to be heard in the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, you are entitled to put your position to the Court by filing a Response together with other court documents required under the Family Law Rules. Those other documents may include sworn Affidavits and/or a Financial Statement (for property settlement or maintenance cases).
  • How do you Change existing Child Custody and Contact Orders (Parenting Orders) in Australia? 25 June 2013 - As children grow older and relationships change, a previously made Court Order concerning the arrangements for the care of a child or children may no longer be appropriate. However, the Court Order remains in force until one (or both) of the parties to the court order initiate legal action to legally change it. If both agree, whilst it is possible to informally change the ongoing care arrangements for children without changing the court orders, it may lead to problems should someone later change his/her mind. It is usually better to legally formalise child arrangements with court orders.
  • Family Violence Safety Notices and Intervention Orders under the Family Violence Protection Act Victoria 23 May 2013 - In Victoria, legal protection is available for family members and their associates who need protection from a family member who is subjecting them to family violence. Family violence has a broad legal definition which includes abuse which is physical, sexual, emotional, threatening, economically abusive, or, in any other way controls or dominates the family member and causes that family member to feel fear for his/her safety.
  • Which Family Law Court in Melbourne? 8 April 2013 - Clients are sometimes confused about which Family Law Court is appropriate to hear their case in Melbourne. This is understandable as there are three separate courts on the same street in Melbourne which have jurisdiction on Family Law related issues.
  • Can I move out of Victoria without a Family Law Court Order? 1 March 2013 - Whether you are allowed to move out of your current home to a new place depends on a number of factors.
  • Finding the Best Family Law Firm in Melbourne 15 January 2013 - So your spouse has just announced, "It's over!" and you need to find a law firm to help guide you through one of the most stressful situations you are going to face. Where do you start? Do you go back to your local conveyancing law firm who looked after the purchase of your home?
  • Why are there more Intervention Orders in the Melbourne Magistrates Court? 14 December 2012 - Over the past years, there has been a great increase in the number of Court Applications made to the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court for the granting of Intervention Orders under Victoria’s Family Violence legislation. There may be a number of reasons for this.
  • Parenting Orders 12 March 2012 - Section 61DA of the Family Law Act requires a Court, when making a parenting order in relation to a child, to apply a presumption that it is in the best interests of the child for the child's parents to have equal shared parenting responsibility for the child.
  • Collaborative Family Lawyers - What Women (and Men) Want! 10 August 2011 - Marriage is a strange phenomenon that happens to human beings. And the best part is, both the unmarried and the married are unhappy, though for radically opposite reasons, one for not being married, and the other for being married.
  • Family Court Stops Mother Taking Children Overseas to live 30 July 2010 - In the case of Cowley and Mendoza decided in the Family Court of Australia in July 2010, a mother of two young children aged 3 and 5 was refused permission to take those children back to her home-land of Brazil. The father was an Australian and he had met the mother whilst on a back-packing holiday.
  • Family Court Pre Action Procedures 9 March 2009 -
  • Family Law Disclosure Rules 22 January 2009 - A direct extract from Family Law Rules- Parts 13.1 and 13.2
Talk to us now for advice about your situation by phoning (+61) 03 9670 9677
Call +613 9670 9677
Make an Enquiry Book an Appointment
  • Melbourne Family Lawyers Melbourne Office:
    4th Floor, 271 William Street
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    (+613) 9670 9677
  • Melbourne Family Lawyers Brighton Office:
    Suite 13, 214 Bay Street
    Brighton VIC 3186
    (+613) 9670 9677